Saturday, August 11, 2007

Bob

One of the great things about working with people is, if you're observant, you will see them transform right before your eyes. Now, I know that sounds like it's an instantaneous thing, but in fact the 'right before your eyes' statement is in fact a process. Which is why you need to be observant.

I'm always amazed when occasionally I'll encounter, within the service community, a provider who can't tell a recent good story about someone they saw transform. Honestly, I don't know what the motivation would be to even go into work if the transformation of people being served wasn't visual. But maybe that's the problem - it's not visual in some organizations because it's not visualized.

Anyway, what about Bob?

Bob is one of our guests, as he's been in the Ready for Life program for most of this year. Bob's a good hearted individual with a ready smile and a decent attitude towards others. He's helpful to our staff, and usually has a ready word of encouragement for the men in the program.

The other day he stopped me in the parking lot - smiling ear to ear he told me that Matt Clapp, our Lead Case Manager, helped him get a job at a local meat store. Happy? That wouldn't quite describe or capture Bob's outlook or attitude. No - I would say, deeply optimistic about his life and future.

Even as I write this, I'm full of joy for Bob. It's more than 'It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy' thing - it's AMAZING! It is the ultimate in; "once I was lost and now I'm found." Bob has a job - but Bob also has Jesus ... he's allowed God to be bigger and smaller than anything he had experienced before hand. I'm so glad he received Christ before receiving a job - life will make much more sense now because of that order.

There are many more Bob's in our program; searching, waiting, hoping. There are also many more potential Bob's who don't know, or haven't accepted hope yet. Pray for them ... won't you?

Next week ... The Sparrow's Nest.

Dan Rogers

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Dan,

It was very interesting to hear about the wonderful employment opportunity for "Bob" Bob is such a common name but praise be to God that Cherry Street's ministry is just that, caring for the least or common among us, as the inevitable is pursued and that is life transformation.
God bless,
Larry Robinson